Saturday, February 16, 2008

Open Your Golden Gate

San Francisco's Golden Gate BridgeI know that every time I travel I say “This is my favorite place to visit in the world.” In fact, I think I might have just said that in my previous blog post. (Because Fiji really is one of my favorite places on earth.)

Truth be told, though, San Francisco has always held a very special place in my heart. Ever since I was 12-years old and learned that San Francisco would replace chilly Ontario, Canada as our primary place of residence. Now that I live in LA, I can’t really imagine living anywhere else, but whenever I plan a trip to San Francisco, I still get the same joyful feeling I did when I was 12.

Road Trip!

This time was no different. I would be traveling up the 5 freeway with my friend Naoko (from the Japan National Tourist Organization). The drive took longer than it normally does (I think because I had company in the car, I was less prone to pushing my car to obscene over-the-limit speeds.) Rather than take the “northerly” route (as I call it) across the 580, I’d planned a trip up through Gilroy, where the drive requires more attention but the local flavor and scenery is far more interesting than the quick drive through Pleasanton could ever be. Besides, what’s a trip to San Francisco without a stop at Casa de Fruta?

Naoko was most amazed by the full wall of garlic products, and I made sure to stock up on my favorite treat, garlic-stuffed olives. After stocking up on candies, nuts and other supplies for the remaining hour or so, we were back on the road.

Hilton San Francisco

CityScape at Hilton San FranciscoIn San Francisco, we had reservations at the Hilton San Francisco in Union Square.

I’m a big Hilton loyalist (I love their double dip HHonors Points program that doesn’t make me split my loyalties between United Airlines and Hilton Hotels.) I can’t rave enough about how wonderful this property was, as well as how awesome the view was from our 20th story bedroom.

At the Hilton we met up with the third member of our party, Jemma, who is a Korean girl, living in Japan and visiting the U.S. Being an international crowd, we quickly decided on dim sum as our first meal, and were soon head to Yank Sing, one of the city’s finest places for dim sum.

After our LATE lunch, we enjoyed a leisurely, but long (this is a walking city) stroll along the waterfront, enjoying the new developments along the way.

Sunset Ferry Ride

Sunset Behind the Golden Gate BridgetIn fact, our walk was so leisurely, we barely made it in time to catch a sunset ferry ride to Tiburon, Sausalito and back.

Those of you not familiar with San Francisco, there is a famous saying along the lines of “I never spent a winter so cold as a summer in San Francisco.”

Ferry Ride in San FranciscoIt can get mighty bitter in the fog, and on the water, after dark, in February is certainly no exception. Although we were shivering our tails off, we just couldn’t resist staying on deck to watch the Technicolor sunset behind the Golden Gate bridge.

Upon our return we wandered through the stalls at Fisherman’s wharf tempted by the crab offerings along the way. Craving the city’s speciality, we ended up at Joe’s Crab Shack for dinner. None of us were starving, having only finished lunch a few hours earlier, but we enjoyed the specialty drinks and a host of crab-themed appetizers and entrees.

The view from the Hilton San FranciscoUpon returning to the Hilton, we caught our first look at the AMAZING view of the city from our 20th story hotel room, and fell in love. My camera doesn't do great night shots, but here we are overlooking the civic center, opera house area and the twinkling lights dotting the hills in the distance.

No comments: