Monday, March 20, 2006

Guangzhou/Canton & Hong Kong

Guangzhou/Canton

EARLY wake up call today (5:30 am) to make my flight from Guilin to Guangzhou (still known to many Westerners as Canton.) I'm feeling weary today, a little cranky, and ready to go home.

Despite the rain and humidity, I quite enjoyed Guangzhou.

We stopped at the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall, where there was a rehearsal going on for a Oriental Medicine Show. (That’s what my guide told me, although it could have been a faith healing show too.) The dance number we saw being rehearsed was about a girl with a crutch who limps through an East Indian dance routine, only to find her leg miraculously cured, and herself the star of the show.

After that we visited the Chen Clan Temple, a place built with money raised from donations from members of the Chen family (Irene, have you been here). The location served both as a private temple for the Chen family, as well as a place where members of the family could go to study for the civil examinations.

Here’s a statue of a female lion, playing with her cub. This is where the guide explained to me his version of life and how gender roles are supposed to work. I don't think we quite had the same opinion about that.

In fairness, he did give me a ton of great information about Guangzhou too. It is still known to many in the west as Canton. And despite the fact that it is home of many things Cantonese, including the language, the Chinese government only recognizes Mandarin as the official language, so now people in Guangzhou are trying to convert over to the national language.

Also, Guangzhou is the one place in China where Americans adopting babies can go to get the proper Visas for the babies to leave the country. So all over the city you see group tours of Westerners carrying around their newly adopted Chinese babies. It was kind of sweet to watch, even for a tired-out grouch like me.

Next was the dim sum lunch. Quite good, but I was also spoiled by the excellent food in Xian and Guilin. After lunch we headed over to the train station, arriving somewhat early, and no coffee shop in sight. Sigh, I’m seriously jonesing for an Ice Mocha right about now.

Once I passed immigration (which you still need to do to travel from China to Hong Kong), I found (YAY!) a coffee shop. Ice Mocha was on the menu, and they made this delightful drink with coffee ice cream instead of ice cubes. Perked me right up.

On the train ride I met a woman who lives in Hong Kong but was born in Spain. We chatted for the hour and a half ride into Hong Kong.

Before I left Guangzhou, I was seriously ready for this trip to be over.

Hong Kong

The second I hit Hong Kong, I felt wholly rejuvenated. I just love this city. Can’t get enough of it. And my hotel is just so awesome. I’m staying at the Harbor Plaza Hotel Whampoa, facing the harbor. Right now, as I type, I’m watching ferries cross between Kowloon and the pier right next to our hotel.

This evening I took a walk along the waterfront, washing away the last of my cobwebs. There is just nothing (okay, almost nothing) like sea air to cure what ails me. Must be the Eastern Canada upbringing, but give me salt spray and a windy day, and I feel right at home.

Was going to get something to eat in the room, so I could enjoy my view, but then found a funky restaurant and couldn’t resist trying it instead. Ordered a cream of seafood soup with a puff pastry topping (yum), escargots with melted cheese served on a bed of mashed potatoes (double yum) and finished off with Shanghai noodles.

On my walk back to the hotel, I bought an Egg Tart, which I’m polishing off as I finish today’s blog. It’s past midnight now, so I’m off to bed.

Tomorrow, a city tour, and then Hong Kong Disneyland. MIC KEY MouSE!

No comments: