Monday, March 20, 2006

Shaanxi Museum--Xian

As promised, today was a very light day.

My wake up call came at 8 am, and I was only required to meet my guide at 11 am. So instead of getting up and blogging or whatever else I thought I was going to do, I rolled right back over and went back to sleep.

Then when I woke up a second time, I read a book. Oh so nice to be able to take it easy. Of course, by this time, I'd hardly left myself enough time to have breakfast and finish my packing and check out.

By the way, breakfast in Xian (yes, a one-track, food-obsessed mind, I know) was the best breakfast yet in Asia. In addition to yesterday's yummy noodles, Xian is also known as a dumpling city. You know the kind of fun dim sum dumplings I can NEVER get enough of. So fabulous breakfast had a couple types of dumplings, and I was in heaven.

Shaanxi Provincial Museum

Our first stop today was at the Shaanxi Museum. I think I've ODed on China history today. I finally had to buy a book (notice the emphasis on HAD TO) covering China's history and civilizations. No way I was keeping all the details straight otherwise.

Oh by the way, I'm traveling here in Asia in what is known as the off-season. It is not even spring yet (even saw some snow in Japan, boy does that feel like years ago) and as such the tourists are not out in full force. Because of that, I've had a great opportunity to take advantage of many "off season" discounts. Another thing to consider if you come to this part of the world.

Anyway, the book was priced (printed on the cover) at 360 yuan, but I was offered the amazing price of 250. Fun, I love a discount.

Didn't take too many pictures of the Museum, but just had to share this wine jug. The alcohol gets poured through the animal's little mouth, and replenished through a trap door on his back. Gotta get me one of these at home. (I swear the spending is out of control.)

Amazing Dumplings

After the Museum, we enjoyed lunch at the most amazing dumpling restaurant in the world. They kept bringing steamer basked after steamer basket to my table, each one featuring four or five different types of dumplings.

Of the ones I can remember, there was a walnut shaped dumpling stuffed with, what else but walnuts, there were fish dumplings, chicken dumplings, spicy dumplings, scrambled egg dumplings and candied dumplings. I also enjoyed a spicy squid dish to die for. I really pigged out at this place, and I think this is the first restaurant where I pretty much ate everything they gave me. (But how was I going to discrimate one dumpling against the other? I didn't want to hurt their feelings.)

After that it was on to the airport for my flight to Guilin. Here's another tip on travling to and through China. Domestically, they are very strict about your luggage only weighing 20 kilos total. (Not per bag). Fortunately they were quite lenient about carry ons (as I had two and a half plus a jacket), but my bags just made it through at 23 kilos (the guy gave me a 3 kilo bonus.) Gotta remember to drink the beers I packed tonight to lighten up my bags.

This makes it quite difficult in traveling the long journeys, so make sure to pack accordingly. The flight was uneventful, but bouncy. It was if they sling shot the plane into the air and then bounced it off the Qin Mountains. I don't believe the seatbelt sign was ever turned off for the whole flight. Even still the flight gave us a lovely snack of what else but Xian noodles. (Afraid I couldn't eat that much, as I was still replete with my lunchtime dumplings.)

Guilin City

Guilin seemed lovely upon site, although it was already dark upon our arrival. The airport had a lovely little light display welcoming guests.

It was immediately obvious that this is a considerably smaller city than either Xian or Beijing and the pace seemed much more mellow here.

Despite my late morning, I'm still feeling sluggish tonight, so have decided to forgo Guilin's culinary calendar in lieu of a quick dinner in the restaurant and an early night. Did drink one of the beers in my suitcase (gotta watch that overweight limit) but didn't accomplish much more than that.

No comments: