Wednesday, March 15, 2006

My Last Day in Tokyo

This morning there was a certain reluctance in waking up. Although this isn’t the end of my trip, just the end of the Japan portion, I’m not yet ready to leave the city. I haven’t seen so many things, haven’t even been to the Ginza yet, and feel as if I’ve barely scratched the surface.

However, I was very much looking forward to my trip to the Tsukiji Fish Market. (Unfortunately my camera misfired today and none of my photos of the market were saved, which is unfortunate as I took some great ones. I guess this means it might be time to buy a new camera.  Anyway, I’ve posted a picture here from the JNTO library, just to give you an idea of what the market looks like.)

The market was everything I expected it to be. Outside there were hundreds of small shops selling seafood, kitchenwares, produce and other products. Inside the main hall there was a giant warehouse, auction area, and wholesale fish market. Such fun, although the market does close to tourists during peak tuna sales times, as tourists just get in the way.

Being in the way was easy to do, because no matter where we walked we were in jeopardy of being run over by bicycles or small carrier trucks. At the market, I indulged my need for raw fish, and bought some large, red egg caviar (so yummy) and some grilled eel on a skewer. Also yummy.

After returning from the market, the remaining couple of hours I had left before my bus left for the airport, I spent more time investigating the little district by my hotel. Last night, being Sunday night, many stores and restaurants weren’t open, so during Monday noontime there was a lot more to see. I wanted to stop at the Ginza (kind of on the way back from the fish market, but I was worried a little about timing, plus Caren and Will’s bus left two hours earlier than mine, and so I stayed with them on our way back to the hotel.)

In Akasaka, I ate lunch at a rotating sushi restaurant. So Good! I had piles and piles of plates, and was starting to feel a little guilty about how much I was eating, until I saw the business man next to me was eating about the same amount.

On my walk back to the hotel, I walked through the Hire Shinto Shrine, located directly adjacent to the hotel, snapping as many photos as I could. (Only half way through had I figured out my camera problems, so all my photos of lunch and some of the Shrine had also been lost.)

Although I tried hard not to spend too much time here, I realized that I had dawdled a bit, just taking in the peace of the area, and by the time I got back to the room, I was feeling a bit of pressure to get packed and ready. Things were thrown haphazardly in the suitcase, but due to all the giving away of tequila, I had plenty of space to pack everything, with room to spare. (Although I’m NOT spending more money in China.)

The flight to China was uneventful. We flew in a 767 (not my favorite plane, as a) they are very noisy, and b) my one plane crash was in a 767.) Even with the strong head winds (we were nearly 30 minutes late), the flight was not that turbulent. I had a row of three seats all to myself, joy, and spent the time napping, playing computer games, and catching up on my notes.

What was really interesting to me about the China entrance policies is that they have a reputation for being very strict, very difficult, but I didn’t find that to be true in any way. Getting the Visa took just a few days, and getting into China was a snap. We had to fill out a health card (for Avian flu purposes) and I obsessed over whether I should answer honestly about having “shortness of breath” or not. In the end, we tossed our health card on a big pile, and no one ever even looked at it.

Immigration was equally easy. They asked if I’d been to China before, and that was it. Stamp. You Pass. At customs, they waved me through, and I was officially a visitor to China.

Outside of customs, I was met by my guide, May and my driver Mr. Su. I just love May. She is so sweet, and so funny, and just adorable. If you ever find yourself taking a Pacific Delight Tours program in Beijing, be sure you request her, if you can.

For about 15 seconds upon my arrival at the hotel, I considered going out for a snack, but ended up having noodles delivered by room service instead. Heaven. I didn’t even have enough time to unpack my bags before I fell asleep.

No comments: