Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Kyoto--Ancient Capital of Japan

Just a quick note from Kyoto, on the first day of my whirlwind tour of Asia. I'm having so much fun, and can already feel time passing by too quickly, even though I've only just finished my first day.

My first stop, Kyoto, is such a wonderful place. It may just be my new favorite city (although you might be hearing me say that a lot on this trip.) However, how can you resist a place where handicrafts stores line every street. I'm afraid my usual Michael's budget has been spent on Japanese papers. (So many choices.)

Morning Tour

Yesterday morning I joined a lovely city tour, where we visited some of the top attractions in this city chock full of history and art.

We stopped at the Nijo Castle, the Golden Temple (pictured) and the Imperial Palace. And for the first time in my life I because one of the people following around a little Japanese flag. :)



During the tour, I made some new friends (of course), Erico, Marcio and Eduardo of Brazil, all the way from Sao Paulo, Brazil. They were probably too lively for Japanese tastes (certainly the police at the Imperial Palace kept their eye on us), but it was quite fun meeting them.


Lunch

I ended up joining them for lunch at the Kyoto Handicraft Center, a lovely buffet, and the price was right too! They taught me a few great Portuguese sayings, some of which I probably shouldn't repeat in cyberspace, and then downloaded for me eight hours of Brazilian music. (Good thing I had my thumb drive with me.)

After lunch the boys and I took some handicraft classes at the center. They made cloissone pins and I got to try my hand at Japanese print making. Here my instructor is holding my final print.


Downtown Kyoto

Parting company, I headed over to visit more of downtown Kyoto. Thanks to my pals at JNTO and their handy Kyoto & Vicinity Walking Guide, I've become quite the expert on Downtown. I even took the Subway with no difficulty.

My next stop was the Nishiki Food Market. I probably arrived here a little too late, as many vendors were closing down, but it was nice, and I was tempted by all the great food. My ultimate destination was Gion Corner to see a performance of traditional Japanese arts (some blocks away) so I kept telling myself not to get distracted by all the shops between where I was and where I wanted to be, but how could I resist the shops and shops of homemade little stuffed animals, and best of all Japanese papers!

I took a detour into the Ponto-cho area (pictured), a lovely historical street, where many Maiko (Geisha) can be found. This was truly a quaint neighborhood, in what you would expect Japan to look like. So many restaurants, pubs and places to spend time, and all of them overlooking the Kamo river.

Gion Corner

I crossed the river, still bound and determined to make it to Gion Corner (By now I'd missed the 7:00 show and was hoping to make it in time for the 8:00 performance, so had even more reason not to be distracted). Got a little turned around, but generally followed the beautiful river to get my bearings.

A good Japanese/English map, some very kind Japanese, including three visitors to Kyoto, who used my two English/Japanese maps and their three all-Japanese maps to get me exactly where I wanted to be.

Made it to the performance with three minutes to spare. The hour-long show featured traditional Japanese arts, including the tea ceremony, flower arranging, Koto playing, court music, a Geisha dance, and a puppet show. I got to volunteer at the tea ceremony, where I was served Japanese cookies and tea. (Good thing too, because I still hadn't eaten and was now getting quite hungry.)

Shijo-dori

After the show, walked home along the main Shijo-dori street. This is definitely where Kyoto's beautiful people hang out. By now (9:15 pm), I was feeling quite hungry, and hadn't even started any research for my article on Sake, either, so food was a priority.

Walked into one restaurant but it was Korean. (I did recognize the weirdness of being in Japan, with the requisite understanding none of the language, and feeling a certain homecoming by walking into a Korean restaurant and feeling comforted by actually understanding the characters and customs.) However, Korean food was not what I wanted. Next stopped at a Shabu Shabu restaurant overlooking the river, but they were closing for the night. Started to get frustrated, when a young kid on the street handed me his 10% off coupon. I saw the Sake bottle pictured on his flyer and I was sold.

Only when I sat down, did I notice the Thai art work and the Singha beer. Oh well, too late, and I was no longer interested in trying to find something Japanese. The food was great here at my little Thai "Asiatic Cafe", and I even started my Sake research. Plus I learned my Japanese waitress had been in Thailand last November during the Loy Krathong festival, the same time I was there. (Amazing how much conversation you can have just using Thai words and hand gestures.)

Had a coffee on the way back to the Subway station (and boy do the Japanese know their coffee!) and finally got home around 11pm.

Tomorrow is all about arts & crafs research (I'm taking a fabric dyeing course and a paper making course) and then in the afternoon it is Sake all the time. Two sake museums and a brewery. (Plus the brewery actually has a Yakitori restaurant attached, so I know I'll be enjoying a nice Japanese meal.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thank you! I fall in love with Kyoto! It's my dream to visit this place! And your post makes these dreams brighter!;)I have some information about travel to Japan as well:)I hope you will enjoy reading:)